Just how serious is the problem? Consider the following:
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency or urgent care center for a bathroom fall.
- According to the National Council on Aging, one in four Americans over 65 falls each year.
- In 2014, older Americans experienced 29 million falls, resulting in 7 million injuries.
- Bathroom falls can prove fatal, too.
If you’re looking to provide a safer bathroom environment for all concerned, here’s how to go about it:
- Equip showers and bath enclosures with sturdy grab bars anchored to wall studs so they can support the full weight of an adult.
- A flexible handheld shower wand with an on/off button might be easier to use than a traditional shower head. These are especially useful in combination with shower chairs.
- Toilets can be replaced with ADA-approved comfort height models to lessen the chance of a harsh fall. Alternatively, raised-height seats can be installed on existing toilets.
- Get a medical alert system with an extra waterproof medical alert button to keep in the bathroom at all times.
- Make sure your water heater is set no higher than 120 degrees. For an added layer of protection, install no-scald faucets and shower heads.
- Some faucet handles are difficult for arthritic hands to grip and turn. These should be replaced with models that are easier for seniors to use.
- Replace your existing tub with a walk-in tub featuring a built-in bench. These facilitate easy access and exit and come with a seal-tight door that prevents water from escaping the tub. Available in many different styles, sizes, and colors.
Has an accident already happened and you need attentive, immediate care? MedCare Express in Newington invites you to head straight to our facility so we can diagnose the problem and provide the necessary treatment to facilitate a full and speedy recovery. We are the only urgent care center in Greater Hartford that’s open 7 days a week until 8 PM.